Friday, June 26, 2009

Melon Coolers

I just got my July 2009 copy of Southern Living in the mailbox the other day, and the cover featured the most tempting looking refreshments -- melon coolers, or agua fresca.  The recipe looked super easy and it didn't hurt that I had half a seedless watermelon waiting to be used in the fridge, so I took a stab at it (no pun intended) and successfully made it!  You process 4 cups of seedless watermelon with 1/4 cup of sugar, press the mixture through a mesh strainer into a pitcher (discarding the solid leftovers in the strainer), add two cups of water, and chill until you're ready to serve (over ice -- you must).  I actually used about a tablespoon less sugar than the recipe called for, and it was still plentifully sweet due to the fact that the watermelon I used was very ripe and juicy.  Southern Living also said you could make it with honeydew or cantaloupe, but really, doesn't watermelon sound the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment